Sunday, September 8th, 2019
Dear Brent Kennedy Elementary Families,
Welcome back everyone! It has been a great school start up so far. We were excited to see returning and new faces on our first day of school together.
As the first weeks of September and early October move along we look forward to updating you about our key learning focuses and priorities as a whole school. You will also receive information to help you understand how we can work together to celebrate and to continue to move forward in growing a strong and healthy school culture and climate.
Below are a few highlights to share from our first week of school:
1) Our first day of school Kick-off Assembly was a great opportunity to welcome and introduce new students and staff and to discuss what it means to be a member of our Brent Kennedy School family and community. Please see our Assembly highlights HERE.
2) Welcome package was was forwarded home to parents with their children on Wednesday, September 4. If you have not received it, please see the attachments included in this post.
3) We are hearing postive feedback about the school purchasing school supplies. While there are have been some challenges for us to overcome, overall, it seems that this was a postive change.
4) We are increasing staff supervision during unstructured learning times (recess, before and after school) to help support our learners to have fun and to feel safe and comfortable during their free time.
5) Parents are encouraged to check to ensure that the email address that they have provided the school is current. We will continue to move our mass school communication from paper to electronic. This will include the use of our parent email distribution lists and school website.
6) Current enrolment is 221 and we hope to close off September on pace with our projected enrolment of 225 (+/- 5 students). Waitlisted registrations are being reviewed by District office; parents will be notified by the school of approvals
7) Please ensure you child is a registered rider with SD#8. See the links provided regarding online bus registration. You will receive a confirmation email that your child must provide the bus drivers.
Our website will continue to be updated with timely information as it becomes available.
Shellie Maloff | Principal,
Brent Kennedy Elementary School