Skip to main content Skip to Chat

Important Deadline: March 28, 2024 at 4:00 PM is the last day transfers and registrations are accepted for students who plan to attend a school that is not in their catchment area (out-of-catchment school).

*Please keep in mind that our Spring Break and Closure Week run from March 18 - 28th. Please call the school before going to the location to register or email your forms to the school clerical. See the School Directory to find the phone numbers and email addresses. 

Student Registration Form

School District No. 8 (Kootenay Lake) (SD8) is pleased to welcome all students to our schools and invites registration for the 2024-2025 school year.

To align with BC’s curriculum and SD8's commitment to student choice, the Board of Education has amended its policies to streamline and simplify student transfer and registration processes.

Students are welcome to register in their catchment area schools at any time.

Student Transfer request forms are now also available:

Student Transfer Form

For registration in your catchment area school:

  • We encourage parents of students who will be attending kindergarten in the 2024-2025 school year to register their children as early as possible.
  • We welcome students who wish to register at their neighborhood (catchment area) school, but who currently attend an independent school or other non-SD8 program and encourage them to register as soon as possible.

To register, please fill out the Student Registration Form and return it to the catchment school clerical staff.

For students who plan to attend a school that is not in their catchment area:

  • Student Transfer forms and Student Registration forms will be accepted from January 2, 2024 to March 28, 2024 at 4:00 PM
  • Student Transfer forms only need to be completed by students transferring to a school that is not in their catchment area
  • To be considered for the September 2024 start day, Student Transfer forms must be received by March 28, 2024 at 4:00 pm; the completed form must be sent to your catchment school for the principal’s signature; the catchment principal will send the form to the requested school's clerical staff
  • All transfer requests received by March 28, 2024 at 4:00 pm will be considered for the 2024-2025 school year and families will be notified before the end of the 2023-2024 school year
  • Student Transfer forms received after the March 28, 2024 deadline will not be considered until after September 6, 2024 (first Friday after school starts)
  • NOTE: Student Transfer forms are no longer required for students who have been attending an out-of-catchment school or an independent school, but who wish to attend their in-catchment school for 2024-2025. However, Registration forms and applicable information will be required
  • Out-of-catchment students wishing to attend a school that their sibling attends will be prioritized before other out-of-catchment students wishing to attend that school

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a Student Transfer required?

When a student is transferring from their catchment school to attend a school not in their catchment area.

Who is considered a Legal Guardian?

A parent (with whom the child lives) or a person that is appointed as such by Court Order (a copy of the Court Order must be attached to the Student Transfer Form)

Do I need a Student Transfer Form if a sibling has been accepted at the out-of-catchment school?

Yes, a Student Transfer Form is required and Section 2.6 of Policy 410 will apply.

Do I need a Student Transfer Form for Programs of Choice and what programs are considered Programs of Choice?

Yes, a Student Transfer Form is required. French Immersion, AVID, Atlas, Sequoia, Summit and Valhalla Wilderness are considered Programs of Choice.

Do I need a Student Transfer Form for DESK and Homelinks?

Yes, a Student Transfer Form is required.

Will bussing be provided to students who are attending a School out of catchment?

Bussing will only be provided if space is available on regular routes and bussing fees will apply. Parents should contact the Transportation Coordinator for further details at
250-354-4871 ext. 204.

Who advises the parent of the decision?

Staff from the school requested by the student or parent will contact the parent of approval or denial.

Is a Student Transfer Form required for kindergarten students?

If the student is registering out-of-catchment then a Student Transfer Form is required along with the Student Registration Form and required documentation.